Fees and Finance

Making university level study affordable is an important factor to consider when choosing where to study. Below are some options for loans and bursary schemes available to support you during your time studying at our University Centre. 

What will I have to pay?

You will pay tuition fees for your course. All fee information can be found on the individual course listings. There will also then be some additional things you might need to buy or pay for such as:

  • Stationery
  • Core textbooks
  • Printing/binding
  • Bench fees and art consumables (beyond those routinely provided)
  • Costs of additional specialized materials which you have identified in order to produce an individual assessment outcome (usually practical assessment in Art subjects i.e. Products for wig-making etc.)
  • DBS checks
  • Uniform or protective clothing
  • Trips – which may include travel, entry fees, accommodation, and associated insurance if applicable (where trips are optional and do not link directly to the Module/Unit outcomes, full costs to the student may be incurred; some trips are linked to teaching and learning and these may be cost-free or subsidized by the college; please check details with your course teams)
  • Costs associated with exhibiting work, or professional presentation
  • Professional body memberships
  • Graduation – optional
  • Travel to and from College and parking charges

Your tuition fees cover one delivery of the specified modules/units in accordance with your Programme of Study. If you need to retake a module/unit, additional costs might be incurred. Partner Universities will have their own fees for retaking modules, please speak to the HE team if you have any queries. 

Paying for your course 

There are a number of options to support you to pay for your course including: 

  • Student Loans 
  • Employer Sponsorship 
  • Maintenance Loans 
  • Disabled Student Allowance 
  • Adult Dependents Grant 
  • Childcare Grant and Parents Learning Allowance 
  • Local Authority Care Bursary 
  • Hardship Funding 

Loans and Bursaries 

Student Loans 

The majority of students studying in Higher Education pay for their tuition fees with a Student Loan from the Student Loans Company.

Student Loans can be applied for online and are available to full and part-time UK students. These loans are paid directly to the course provider, not to the student. 

Employer Sponsorship

In some instances employers pay for higher education courses as a training and development plan for employees. These students are normally on part time higher education courses and are referred to as ‘sponsored’ students.

Maintenance Loan

All full-time students can apply for Maintenance Loans to help with other costs associated with studying such as equipment, books and living costs. Maintenance Loans are paid direct to the student in three installments. New part-time students can also apply for a Maintenance Loan. You can find out about your eligibility via the Student Finance Calculator.

The amount you get depends on your household income, course intensity and where you live while studying.

Disabled Student Allowance

If you have a disability recognised under the Equality Act 2010, such as a long-term health condition, mental health condition, or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, you can apply for some funding to support you while you study. The Disabled Student Allowance is designed to help with costs you may have because of your disability. It is not means tested, but based on individual need and is paid on top of your other financial help.

Adult Dependants’ Grant

If you are a full-time Undergraduate student and another adult is dependent on you financially, you may be able to get extra help via the Adult Dependants Grant which is paid on top of any other student finance you may receive.

Childcare Grant and Parents Learning Allowance

Full-time students can also apply for help through the Childcare Grant for up to 85% of your childcare costs, provided your children are under 15, or under 17 if they have a Special Educational Need. Income-related, unemployment, and housing benefits are not affected by a Childcare Grant. You may be eligible for Parents Learning Allowance to help with the cost of studying if you are a student with children who is studying full-time. This allowance is based on household income and won’t affect benefits or tax credits. And, like grants, it doesn’t have to be paid back.

Local Authority Care Bursary 

If you have been in Local Authority Care, you can claim a one-off bursary payment of £2,000 from your Local Authority.

Hardship Funding

If you are a student studying on a HNC or HND programme at the college, and you experience short-term hardship, or have an emergency or crisis which puts you in sudden or temporary financial difficulty, you can apply for a hardship grant (non-repayable) or loan* (for which you will agree on terms of repayment) in addition to other financial benefits you may receive.

*If you are due to receive payment from Student Finance England (SFE) but need immediate support, a loan may be offered and can be re-paid when the SFE payment is made to you. In this case, you must sign an agreement that sets out the terms of repayment before a payment will be authorized.

Higher Education Scholarships

Scholarships are available to students considering a higher education course at New College Swindon University Centre. 

Advice and Support

If you are encountering financial difficulties which are having an impact on your ability to study, and you want to talk to someone, please email university.centre@newcollege.ac.uk in the first instance.

The HE Office is open to current students daily and we can signpost general advice on financial matters, and act as liaisons between you and our University partners. We also have staff in college who can provide support with Student Finance England applications and issues relating to finance, including setting up payment plans if you intend to self-fund your studies.

Course Guides
View All Guides
Queens Drive Campus
Queens Drive Campus
New College Drive
Tel: 01793 611470
View Campus Information
North Star Campus
North Star Campus
North Star Avenue
Tel: 01793 491591
View Campus Information
Adult Education Centre
Adult Education Centre
Focal Point
27-35 Fleet Street
Swindon SN1 1RQ
Tel: 01793 511665
View Campus Information
Institute of Technology
Institute of Technology
North Star Avenue
Tel: 01793 491591
View Campus Information