Financial support

Students may be able to receive financial support to help cover the cost of course-related day-to-day costs such as books and travel. Our Financial Support Team will be able to help and guide you through this process.


We have significantly increased our Discretionary Bursary allocation to financially support Students to study during this cost of living crisis.

  • We have raised our household income eligibility threshold to £40 000 net from £35 000 gross,
  • We also deduct £1000 from the household income per additional child in the household in full time education excluding the student to further support households,
  • We have increased the value of our free meals to £5.00 from the Government allocation of £2.41.
  • We can support students with Travel to college, books and study equipment costs, meals and Childcare.

Email if you need support:

Learner Support Fund

  • You need to be 16 or over on 31 August 2023 to be eligible for the Learner Support Fund.
  • Be aged 19 if you are continuing on a study programme you began aged 16 to 18 (‘19+ continuers’) or have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).
  • Be aged 19+ on the first day of your course, studying Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 qualifications, or be under 23 and studying your first Level 3 qualification.
  • You need to have been resident in the UK, EU or EEA for 3 years prior to the start of your course. (Exceptions for 16-18 year old asylum seekers).
  • You need to have applied for a course funded through the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) at New College Swindon.
  • You can also apply for support if you have funded your course through the 19+ Advanced Learning Loan.
  • If the household income is below £40,000 Net after tax.
  • For Discretionary Bursary applications we will deduct £1000 from the household income for each additional child in the household excluding the student up to 3 children per household.

Bursary for Vulnerable Groups

If you meet one of the four criteria below (plus the other criteria for age and residency) and if you have a financial need, you can apply for a bursary for vulnerable groups of up to £1,200 per year if you are participating on a study programme that lasts for 30 weeks or more.

  • In care
  • Care leavers
  • Receiving Income Support, or Universal Credit because you are financially supporting yourself or someone who is dependent on you and living with you such as a child or partner
  • Receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in your own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit in your own right

Free College Meals (FCM)

A free meal on timetabled college days can be provided to students who meet the following eligibility criteria determined by central government. One or more needs to apply to you –

In receipt of:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC))
  • Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after someone stops qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit with net earnings not exceeding the equivalent of £7,400 pa
back to top