An employers' guide to work experience
Could you play a part in helping us to prepare our students for the future?
We welcome employers who can spare some time to work with our students, teaching staff or Careers team, to share their expertise of recruitment and their knowledge of specialist industries.
Work experience is simply an experience of the workplace at an employer's premises which is directly related to a student's study. It could be just for a day, or a week but could also be for up to 350 hours, with the students performing as your employee.
- Networking events for employers.
- Influence the curriculum and shape your future workforce.
- Advertise job vacancies and recruit future apprentices "try before you hire".
- Student placement matching service - we make sure you get the right student for your business.
- Funded training to support your staff to mentor young people in the workplace *eligibility criteria applies
- Your own dedicated Engagement office to provide support.
Benefits to your business
A Fresh Approach
Young people bring new ideas and skills that reflect the interests and skills of the next generation of your customers.
Enhancing your businesses' brand by demonstrating to the local community that you invest in training and development, whilst helping to achieve your Corporate Social Responsibility targets.
Improved Recruitment for Entry Level Jobs
In many cases, a future apprentice or employee has been recruited following a successful work experience placement.
Raise the Profile of Your Industry
Positive early introductions for young people can influence them to pursue a career in your industry and shape their subject and qualification options.
Staff Engagement and Development
You can treat work experience as an opportunity for current staff to get behind a cause.
Building Partnerships with Local Employers
Opportunities to network with professionals in the same or related industries, sharing ideas and filling skills gaps.
Other Ways You Can Work With New College
If you or your business are not able to offer work experience yet, there are still lots of ways in which you can inspire and work with our students:
- Employer talks - about your business, recruitment opportunities or your personal journey to where you are today.
- Work taster activities - offering short opportunities to students to visit you and discover your industry.
- Mock interviews - for students who have no experience of applying for work.
- Visits to your business - we can come to you! Our students can then benefit from gaining an understanding of your workplace.
- Sponsoring - our sports teams or curriculum areas can raise the profile of your business.
- Supporting curriculum activities - by providing Industry insight days for our lecturing staff to gain up to date knowledge of your industry, or coming into classrooms to discuss new innovations.
- Future talent forums - an opportunity to network, meet curriculum teams and work directly with them to influence the delivery of the skills you need.
To find out more information about how work experience works, myth busters please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 01793 209693