About the course
The Digital T-Level qualification is a full time, 2-year qualification that offers an alternative route to A-Levels and apprenticeships. T-Levels have been developed in collaboration with employers and businesses, so the content meets the demands needed for the current IT / Computing industry. The qualification combines classroom theory, practical learning and a mandatory 315hour work placement to ensure learners have real experience of the workplace.
Content on the course includes but not limited to:
- Computational Thinking
- Programming (Program data, operators, file handling, program structure, built in functions, validation and data handling, maintainable code)
- Emerging issues and the impact of digital
- Legislation and regulatory requirements (Health and safety, Data Protection Act, Computer Misuse Act Equality act)
- Understanding business environments
- The creation and use of data (Artificial Intelligence / machine learning, Internet of Things (IoT, file and directory-based structures)
- Digital Environments (Network, cloud environments, virtual environments and resilience of environments)
- Security (technical threats such as hacking, Distributed Denial-of-service, Man-in-the-middle attacks) & physical vulnerabilities, security risks and threat mitigation.
- Employer set project
- T-Levels are assessed with core components which includes 2 examinations and an employer set project. The qualification is graded as Pass, Merit or Distinction.
- Examination 1 2hr 30mins Digital Analysis, Legislation and Emerging Issues (100 marks available and equivalent to 33.33% of qualification)
- Examination 2 2hr 30mins Business Environments (100 marks available and equivalent to 33.33% of qualification)
- Employer set project 14.5hours Externally assessed projects (100 marks available and equivalent to 33.33% of qualification)
Five GCSEs at grade 5/C or above (including English Language, Science & Maths). A strong interest in Computing and IT is essential. For over 18s, suitable work experience may be taken into consideration.
Completing a digital T-level will allow learners to progress into a digital degree apprenticeship, employment or higher education studying a technical degree at university such as Computer Science, Computing, Networking or Cyber. Suitable job role / progression routes:
- Software Development Technician
- Junior Developer
- Web Developer
- Mobile App Developer
- Automated Test Developer
- Application Support Analyst
Work experience and employability
The qualification requires a mandatory 315hours (minimum) industry placement in which all learners must undertake and complete in order to be successfully certified for the qualification. It is expected that learners try to source a relevant work placement, with help from the college, in order to complete the industry placement across the two-year qualification.
What additional resources will I need?
Commitment and transport to a mandatory industry placement.
Course Text & revision books estimated cost Â£40
This course is free to students aged 16-18 years. Students are asked to make contributions to cover the cost of any course related trips that are organised.
For queries about the course, please contact the course leader: email@example.com
For general enquiries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org