About the course
The Level 3 Award in Education and Training accredited with City & Guilds is an introduction to teaching, it does not qualify you to teach, it is an introduction to teaching and may not be the course for you if you have no teaching experience at all.
This blended programme is on line for the theory aspect of the qualification, but there will be a mandatory requirement to attend the college to complete the micro-teaches as part of final assessment. The guidance suggests approximately 120 hours to complete the qualification. This includes the on line reading, activities that you will need to complete, the research and planning that you will need to do (the amount will vary depending on the experience you currently have in teaching/training), and the delivery of your micro-teach. This equates to approximately 10 – 12 hours/week.
The qualification covers the knowledge and skills required by teachers in further education and skills sectors such as:
- Roles, responsibilities and relationships in education and training (this unit will RPL to the level 4)
- Inclusive teaching and learning approaches
- Planning lessons and resources
- Motivating learners
- Assessment of learners and record keeping
- Feedback for learning
Assessment is by building a portfolio of evidence which includes assignments for each of the 3 units, a micro teach session, session plan, evaluations and observation record. Please note that micro-teach sessions will be videoed as part of the end assessment process.
This on line version of the course has multiple start dates so that you can work at your own pace through the tasks and assignments, it should take you around 10 weeks although you have up to a year to complete. It is intended that you work independently on the course, although your tutor will be able to support you with queries that you might have. You will need to keep in mind the formal assessment dates, since part of your assessment is to produce a 15 minute micro-teach and observe 45 minutes of others delivering micro-teaches, these dates are not very flexible.
- Specialist occupational competence to a minimum of level 3 or above (A level)
- Good communication, writing skills and ICT skills are essential (maths skills are important especially if you are looking to progress within teaching).
- Must be aged 19+
- Please note enrolment is subject to an informal interview (this may be on line), initial assessment and copies of relevant certificates.
Work experience and employability
No work experience necessary.
What additional resources will I need?
You must have access to a computer, resources for your micro-teach.
The course fee includes email support for queries, marking of assignments with feedback from your tutor, registration and certification fee.
Cost is £260
For queries about the course, please contact the course leader: Nicola.email@example.com
For general enquiries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org