T Levels are coming to New College from 2021
New College Swindon will be the first provider in Swindon and Wiltshire to offer the new T Levels.
These qualifications are designed to develop skilled workers for sectors of the UK economy. Alongside technical skills, students achieving a T Level will possess the literacy, numeracy and digital skills, wider transferable skills and attitudes required to be successful in specific careers.
They have been developed in partnership with employers and benefit from the unique insights of industry leaders. This means that learners will have the skills and knowledge needed to compete and get ahead in today’s job market.
- last for two years and are studied five days per week (80% classroom and 20% workplace Time)
- are equivalent to three A Levels, carrying the equivalent UCAS points
- prepare learners for a skilled career by providing practical skills and knowledge
- include an extended industry placement of at least 315 hours
- are assessed through a combination of exams, course work, workplace reviews, an employer project and an end-point assessment. To pass the qualification, students must have fully completed the extended placement and gained the necessary level of work experience (validated by the employer).
From September 2021, New College will be able to offer T Levels in three industry areas:
- Education and Childcare
- Health and Science.
Are they for me?
If you are currently in Year 10 and want to reach an advanced level of technical excellence in a chosen career pathway, then a T Level at New College could be for you!
Entry requirements are likely to be our standard ones i.e. five grades at 9-5, including English Language and Maths. Some students may be able to study an A Level alongside their T level, if it is relevant to their chosen route.
If you are not quite ready to enter directly on to a T Level after GCSEs, then don’t worry! A transition year will be available, which will help you to gain the necessary skills and qualifications to progress on to your chosen T Level.