Changes to our curriculum from September 2019 entry
We have made some exciting new changes to our A Level and Vocational Level 3 provision. These changes will help our students to achieve the best possible results and progression at the end of their courses.
- Our A Levels are now linear – you will take exams at the end of two years study. This is in line with most other A Level centres and provides you with more teaching time for your A Level.
- We have also introduced A Level pathways, underpinned by an employability focus, to help you identify the best subjects for a particular career/university destination, while still providing plenty of choice. Subjects are clustered in pathways, to enhance and complement each other - you follow a specific A Level pathway, taking subjects from the core and additional choices listed. A very small number of vocational options (equivalent to one A Level) are included in the choices; other than this, no hybrid choices are available.
- Our A Level pathways include wrap around support such as tutorials, study skills development and pastoral care as well as specific enrichment choices. Our enrichment initiatives are called “Extraordinary Extras” – these link to your chosen pathway and help you to develop skills and qualities to succeed in that destination or career
- Once you have decided on your pathway, then choose A Level subjects from the core and additional subject listings.
Download our new A Level Guide, which details pathways and choices here
- We offer BTECs and other vocational qualifications across a range of subject areas at Level 3. These fully-accredited courses are designed in conjunction with business, to help you reach your career goals. They provide a practical, real-world approach to learning alongside a theoretical background, giving learners the knowledge, understanding and skills that they need to prepare themselves for both employment or university.
- Our specialist facilities and resources for vocational courses provide the opportunity to develop and practise your skills in a professional, hands-on environment. We have excellent links with employers, which helps you to access great employability opportunities.
- Each vocational course lasts for two years and is the equivalent of studying 3 A Levels. Studying a full course of this size gives the best possible chance of progression and all students undertaking a Level 3 vocational course will be expected to study the full qualification. Hybrid choices (where you choose vocational courses and A Levels) are no longer available.
Download our new Vocational Courses Guide, which details courses here