foundation degree in professional photography
"When I say I want to photograph someone, what it really means is that I'd like to know them. Anyone I know I photograph" - Annie Leibovitz
© Jenni Seymour FDa Professional Photography
Stretch your imagination and challenge your preconceptions with our Professional Photography Foundation degree!
About the Course
We have just adapted our FdA Professional Photography course and it takes on board key changes that have taken place in the imaging sector and the demands on new professionals entering the industry. So this is a course which aims to prepare you for the commercial industry of tomorrow. Taking a flexible approach to learning you will learn how to adapt existing technologies and adapt and utilise new technologies which will enable you to deal with changes within the industry. Commercial photography is still a thriving and lucrative market and it's the most adaptive and widely used medium. We encourage you to adapt to the changes in the business environment and we will help you to look for bespoke solutions which suit you as an individual.
Validated and developed in partnership with the University of Gloucestershire, the course is available either full-time over two years or part-time over three years. After gaining the Foundation Degree, you can progress into employment, or opt to study for a further year to obtain a full BA Honours degree at any UK university.
Find out more about what the course offers
Why should I study Photography at New College?
- Develops your personal style of photography in a supportive and friendly environment
- Excellent, modern facilities, including a fully-equipped darkroom and photographic studio
- Flexible part-time and full-time options to fit around your life
- Excellent success rates
- We are members of the Association of Photographers
- Students participate in both national and international photography competitions and have received Merit Awards at the Fujifilm Student Awards
Future careers include:
- Picture Research
- Photo Finishing Labs
- SMILE Photographers
- Photographing Wiltshire's Treasures
- Millennium Images Graduate Gallery 2011 featuring work by New College graduate Denis Costello
What the employers say - Professional Liaison Group (PLG)
Current participants of the Professional Liaison Group are
- James Davies – English Heritage
- Helen Miah – Head of Culture
- John Bigglestone – AOP Education
- Mark Cameron – MC Studios
- John Hart – JH Photography
- Jennifer Sinclair - Photographer
- Stuart Harrison – Picture Editor, Swindon Advertiser
- Bruce Boulton – Lantern Photography
The professional liaison group is a proactive participant on the course that meets on a regular basis to review and evaluate the currency of the programme and the quality of work-based learning experience undertaken by the learners. The group exhibits a range of interests and a breadth of expertise, which has benefited both the programme and the learners on the course. The involvement on the PLG allows us to share our skills and knowledge with the next generation of photographers, through the shaping of the structure of the course, small groups mentoring, setting 'live' briefs and providing work-based learning opportunities as and when they arise.
Visit the SMILE photographers website to see examples of our students work